The Buffalo Rose is closed for remodeling until the fall of 2018 

Complete remodel of restaurant/bar and event venue

New design is consistent with historical structures
and with the downtown Golden esthetic

All new commercial kitchen, bathrooms, lighting,
flooring, building systems and more!


The Buffalo Rose has a rich and varied history. The original building was built in 1859 and housed many businesses over the years. The first floor was a grocery store, with the second floor home to the first public hall (Metropolitan Hall).  The Hall hosted a wide variety of gatherings, from church services to dances. During this period, Golden was the capital of the Colorado territory. The territorial council,  (the equivalent of a senate), met in the second floor meeting hall from 1862 – 1866. Many of Colorado’s earliest laws were voted on in this hall.

After the Civil War, the building was occupied by The Golden Paper Mill (the first paper mill west of the Mississippi). A successful mercantile was also housed in the store front. The Metropolitan Hall continued as a public hall. In the 1870’s, a new owner remodeled the hall into the Overland House, a hotel and restaurant. It served many travelers on the Wells Fargo company overland stagecoaches.

Some famous guests included U.S. Generals Grant, Sherman and Sheridan. Over the years shadier guests caused trouble, including shootouts with the local Sheriff. The first shootout took place in 1860 inside the bar and is said that the ghosts of some of these notorious men still lurk here.

In 1917, Colorado voted for prohibition 2 years before the rest of the nation. To survive, the saloon converted to soft drinks, going back to liquor when prohibition was repealed.

In late 2017, the Buffalo Rose suspended operations to undertake a major remodel project. Re-opening in the fall of 2018, the Buffalo Rose will continue its legacy as a Colorado landmark with great food, nightly drink specials and live entertainment in its renewed restaurant and event venue facilities. 

Contact Us

15 + 1 =

For up to date information on the remodeling, join our mailing list

* indicates required

12/20/17 – The demolition crew has been carefully peeling back the many facades that have been added to the Buffalo Rose over the years, to reveal historic building materials including original brick and wood framing. They have opened up walls and ceilings that haven’t been seen in over 50 years. We will do our best to restore and re-purpose as many historical elements as possible. The exterior red wood siding was removed to reveal the original brick that will be restored while bringing back the original elevations from the turn of the century.

12/29/17 – Work on the Buffalo Rose continues… replacing floor joists, revealing historic brick and finding the original walls of the oldest standing building in Jefferson County.

1/11/18 – A big thank you to local Historian Rick Gardner for following our restoration project and educating us about the extensive history of the Buffalo Rose. These walls were constructed using a technique called brick nogging. A quote from Rick: “This technique was to build the structural framing and then infill between the studs with brick, and then to cover it on the outside with clapboard and on the inside with plaster.” This technique was used from colonial times to the mid-19th century. The glass block and brick is original from the late 1800s.