A Rosey Past
Where It All Began
The Buffalo Rose has a rich and varied history. The original building was built in 1859 and housed many businesses over the years. The first floor was a grocery store, with the second floor home to the first public hall (Metropolitan Hall). The Hall hosted a wide variety of gatherings, from church services to dances. During this period, Golden was the capital of the Colorado territory. The territorial council, (the equivalent of a senate), met in the second floor meeting hall from 1862 – 1866. Many of Colorado’s earliest laws were voted on in this hall.
After the Civil War, the building was occupied by The Golden Paper Mill (the first paper mill west of the Mississippi). A successful mercantile was also housed in the store front. The Metropolitan Hall continued as a public hall. In the 1870’s, a new owner remodeled the hall into the Overland House, a hotel and restaurant. It served many travelers on the Wells Fargo company overland stagecoaches.
Some famous guests included U.S. Generals Grant, Sherman and Sheridan. Over the years shadier guests caused trouble, including shootouts with the local Sheriff. The first shootout took place in 1860 inside the bar and is said that the ghosts of some of these notorious men still lurk here.
In 1917, Colorado voted for prohibition 2 years before the rest of the nation. To survive, the saloon converted to soft drinks, going back to liquor when prohibition was repealed.
In late 2017, the Buffalo Rose suspended operations to undertake a major remodel project. Re-opening in the fall of 2018, the Buffalo Rose will continue its legacy as a Colorado landmark with great food, nightly drink specials and live entertainment in its renewed restaurant and event venue facilities.